Translation via SDL Trados Studio can improve as the translation memories are updated and enriched with more and more translations of words and phrases. Such updated translation memories can greatly reduce the amount of manual input of translated text, thus saving a lot of time. Let’s take a look at how the translation memories can be updated.
- Navigate to the Home tab and click the Projects option on the left to view the currently existing projects in SDL Trados Studio.
- Double-click a project name to go to the Files view for the particular project. Select a language from the drop-down on the left side.
- Right-click the file and click Open for Translation from the context menu.
- As mentioned earlier, the HTML file is now opened in the translation editor and only the text to be translated appears on the left. Translated text appears on the right if the selected translation memory contains the translations for the given text. For text that does not yet have any translation in the translation memory, blanks appear on the right.
- Enter the language translation for such text from the left over to the right and click the Confirm button in the Home tab to confirm that the translation is correct, thus saving it to the currently open translation memory. Numbers do not require translation and are directly copied over. Complete the translation in this way for the entire document.
- Next, click Batch Tasks in the Home tab and then click Update Main Translation Memories.
- Click Finish in the next window to update the contents of the bilingual translation library.
- Now click Close.
You are now prompted if you would like to reopen the project file with the updated translation memory. You can click Yes if you wish to do so or No if it is not required.