You can associate as many Metadata fields as you need with items, assets, and exam forms in ExamDeveloper.
You can create items under each metadata list for the project’s users. If you select the Users can add Contents check box, users can create metadata items as they edit items or assets.
- Select the Manage → Settings menu.
Click the Metadata tab.
Enter a Name for the metadata. By default ExamDeveloper automatically enters the Plural Form for the metadata. You can modify the plural form.
- Enter the Category for the metadata. Category is used to group metadata types together. You can create your own category by typing a name in the field, or you can type in an existing category name. If you enter no category, the Default Category is assigned.
- Enter a Description for the metadata.
Select a metadata Type from the drop-down list.
Choose Metadata Type
Multiple Entry Text
This allows for one or more single-line text entries to be added for a given item or asset. When two or more characters are typed in the text box, a suggest as you type list is shown for all metadata values entered previously, which helps reduce duplication of entries. This is the default type of metadata if no other type is selected.
This allows for only one text entry to be added for a given item or asset.
This allows for an entire block of text or HTML to be entered. This type also allows you to attach assets within the metadata field.
This creates a fixed list of items, and the user can choose one or more values to assign to the item or asset.
This creates a drop-down list of items, and the user can choose only one value to assign to the item or asset.
This creates one or more values with check boxes next to them so the user can select (or de-select) each value.
- Enter a Size Limit for the metadata. This is the number of characters users are allowed to enter for the metadata type. The size limit only applies to multiple entry text, single-line text, multi-select list, and drop-down list.
Select the Display On options. You must determine if the metadata will be available for items, assets, and/or exams.
Questions, Assets and Exams
On Questions, Assets and Exams: Displayed on all three editor pages. Also is available in items and asset search control pages.
Only on Questions: Displays only on Question editor pages. Available only on item’s search control pages.
Only on Assets: Displays only on Assets pages. Available only on asset’s search control pages.
Only on Exams: Displays only on Exam Forms pages.
Select who has access to the metadata, if it is mandatory, and if users can add content to the metadata.
Users can add contents
Users are allowed to add contents from editor pages when selected. If this is not selected, users may only select from pre-defined metadata content for drop-down lists, multiple entry text, multi-select lists, and single-line text metadata.
Items/assets cannot be submitted without entering contents for the mandatory metadata.
Available only to Manager
Metadata is only available on Project Manager’s Question/Assets editor pages.
- Enter Content for the metadata. Each entry must be entered on a separate line. Content is only available for multiple entry text, single-line text, multi-select list, and drop-down list metadata types.
Click Save. The metadata you created is added to the table at the bottom of the Manage metadata page. The metadata are listed in alphabetical order.
To modify a metadata list, click the Edit icon for the desired metadata. It is loaded into the edit area above.
Edit the Name, Plural Form (even though the application develops the plural form of the Name of the metadata, the Project Manager can edit it), Description, Size Limit, details about Display On, and Contents. The contents are shown one per line and you can add many at once.
Click Save when done.
Modify metadata contents
To modify metadata Contents, click the Edit Content icon for the desired metadata. The Edit Contents pop-up window opens. All entries are listed in alphabetical order.
- click the Edit Content icon for the content entry you wish to modify.
Modify the content.
- Click the Save Content icon. A message confirms the content was updated successfully.
- Close the Edit Contents window.
Delete metadata content
- To delete metadata Content, click the corresponding Edit Content icon.
- This opens a pop-up window with the metadata contents. Click the appropriate Delete Content icon for the desired metadata.
- If the metadata content being deleted is associated with any items, assets, and/or exam forms, then the following confirmation pop-up window with the IDs of those items and/or assets, and/or the names of the exam forms is displayed. Deleting the metadata content may affect those items, assets, and/or exam forms.
- Yes button: Delete the metadata content and return to Edit Contents page.
- No button: Don't delete the metadata content and return to Edit Contents page.
To replace the metadata content instead of deleting it, select the content in the You can choose to replace the deleted item with another existing item in its place drop-down list, and click Yes. The content is replaced with the selected content. Click No to cancel the deletion.
To view the metadata content for viewable metadata, click the hyperlink on any metadata name on Manage Metadata page.
The content details are displayed in a pop-up window.
- To delete metadata, click the Delete icon.
- Click OK to confirm the deletion or click Cancel to abort the deletion.
The metadata is removed from the list of metadata on the Manage Metadata page.