Once you have retrieved the items, you can examine those you are interested in viewing.
Examine items from the Search Questions page
Select the items you want to examine by selecting the box for each desired item.
Click the Examine Questions button. The Examine Questions page opens.
The status of the item is indicated in red text above the Question summary. All information about the item, including its metadata and history, are displayed below the item.
The case details are displayed as a separate section Belongs To Case for items belonging to any case. This case section also displays other items contained in the case.
Click the Edit Case icon to open the Edit Case pop-up window as shown below. Here you can modify the Exhibit text (as long as the item is editable in the project and not obsolete). You cannot modify the case name, or the Exhibit ID. You also cannot add or remove items present on the case.
Question Metadata tab:
The Question Metadata tab on the Examine Questions page displays data about the retrieved item including its Question ID, Blueprint ID, Metadata, References, and Membership. The membership link pop-up displays details about the exam, its sections, enemies etc..
The Membership hyperlink pop-up displays details about the item such as its Enemies, Editable in Projects, Viewable by Projects, and the Exam Forms, Exam Sections, and Collections, the item is a part of.
The individual names for exam forms, exam sections, and collections listed in this window appear as hyperlinks, which upon clicking, open a new window displaying the contents of the clicked items. Thus, clicking on a hyperlink for a collection name listed here opens a new window that lists the items contained in that collection.
Split Screen and/or Pop-up Exhibits information, if any, is also available here as seen below.
If an item has been cloned or is the clone of another item, the information is displayed on the Question Metatdata tab.
The source item lists the Question ID of the item it was cloned to in the Cloned to field.
The cloned item lists the Question ID of the source item in the Cloned from field.
User Tracking tab:
The User Tracking tab on the Examine Questions page displays the list of users who Validated and Reviewed the item. This tab is available only when the Can observers see names of writers, reviewers and validators? is set to Yes in the observer configuration.
The Comments tab on the Examine Questions page holds all the comments users have inserted for the item. It shows the Free Text and External ID of the item.
To add a comment, click the Add Comment link in the Comments tab. Select the Comment flag from the drop-down list and enter the comment in the Enter Text field. Click Save Comment.
The History tab on the Examine Questions page displays all versions of the retrieved item.
To see an earlier version of the item, select the version number check box and click View revision(s). You can also select multiple versions of the item and click the View revision(s) button to see the changes between the versions. The Question History page opens. This page displays the item summary and other details of earlier versions of the item. All text changes are also highlighted in red for deletions and in green for additions.
The Question History page gives options to navigate through the versions of the items.
Moves to the earliest revision comparison in the list (e.g., Comparing revisions 1 and 2).
Moves to the previous revision comparison in the list (e.g., Currently comparing revisions 2 and 3. Clicking Previous moves back to, "Comparing revisions 1 and 2").
Moves to the next revision comparison in the list (e.g., Currently comparing revisions 2 and 3. Clicking Next moves forward to, "Comparing revisions 3 and 4.").
Moves to the latest revision comparison in the list (e.g., Comparing revisions 3 and 4).
Select a revision comparison to view. This option only allows to compare a revision number against the previous or next revision in the list. For example, 3 vs 4, 2 vs 3, or 1 vs 2. If you want to compare version 4 vs 1, you must select only version 4 and 1 and then click View revision(s).
The Statistics Tab displays the statistics for the item in each Analysis Set uploaded. The Analysis Group is ungrouped and the Analysis Set is not selected on the Statistics tab if there is no Analysis set preselection configured for the project.
Select an Analysis Set:
- Select the Statistics tab.
- Click the Analysis Set drop-down arrow and select the desired analysis set from the list. The Default analysis set is highlighted in red text.
The default analysis set is displayed. None of the item statistics may be edited from the user interface. All statistics must be added or extracted via spreadsheet import/export.
If the item falls within the criteria set in the project's Statistical Flags, the flags raised are also displayed near the bottom next to Flags.
- You are unable to perform the following actions in the user interface. You are only able to select an analysis group or analysis set and view the statistics that display today.
- Edit the statistics.
- Set an analysis set as the default.
- Save changes to the statistics.
- Edit the statistics.
Advanced Properties tab:
The Advanced Properties tab on the Examine Questions page displays the following item information:
- Title of the exhibit
- Enumerated identifies if the item is included in the number sequence on the Review screen
- Shuffle Response identifies if the item responses are listed in the order they were authored, or in a random order
- The Calculators that have been added to the item are listed
- The minimum and maximum number of responses allowed on the item. These only apply to the MCQ, multiple correct options item type.
- Response Required determines if users must answer an item before navigating away from the item
- Response Confirmation determines if users must confirm their response before navigating away from the item
- No Response Confirmation determines if candidates are prompted if they want to navigate away from the item when no response was provided for the item
On the Examine Questions page you can:
- Return the item to the author:
- Click Return to Author from the Examine Questions page.
In the Return Question pop-up that opens, enter a reason in the Rich Text editor for returning the item.
Cancel button: Discard changes and close the pop-up window to return to the Examine Questions page.
Click Submit button to confirm returning the item and return it to the author for changes as specified and return to the Examine Questions page. The Item Status is changed to Returned as shown in red text.
- Click Return to Author from the Examine Questions page.
Modify the item:
Please refer to Modifying an Item.
Examine R-Type Item:
The Examine Questions page for an R-Type item has two views: one for Options and another for Stems. The common area of view near the top, displays the Lead-In, Item Type, and Status. The various tabs related to items are also visible near the bottom along with the drop-down to select and set the Status of the item.
The view with the Options tab is visible by default. Here, the various Answer Options with their Labels are visible as can be seen below.
Click the Stems tab to display the Stem view of the page. This tab displays the various Question Stems and their correct Answer Options with Labels. Each Stem has a Stem Question ID, which is displayed above each Stem.
Clone an Item
Click the Clone button. A confirmation pop-up window appears with check boxes for Statistics, Blueprint, Metadata,or Comments (excluding External ID) which must be selected in order to transfer information related to these parameters from the original item to the cloned item.
You must decide what to do with the original item when you make a clone of it. You can can make the original item obsolete, or keep the original item active in the item bank and you will have two active versions of the item.
Click OK to save the changes, or Cancel to discard them and return to the Examine Questions page.
Manually Check-out an Item
Project Managers can manually check-out an item to prevent other users from editing the item. When Project Managers check-out an item, it is checked out for 99 years or until the item is manually checked-in, or until there is a change in state for the item. Items that are manually checked-out remain checked out even if the user logs out of ExamDeveloper.
- Open the item on the Examine Questions page you wish to manually check-out. (If the item is checked-out by another user you must check-in the item first and then check-out the item.)
- Click the Check-out button.
- The Check-out button changes to Check-in. There is no messaging that you have the item checked-out, the button changing to Check-in is your only indicator that you have the item checked-out.
The item remains checked-out for 99 years unless one of the following actions occur:
- A Project Manager clicks the Check-in button
- A Project Manager changes the state of the item
- A Project Manager modifies the item and Submits the item on the Modify Question page
- If you wish to edit the item, click the Modify button. The Modify Question page opens and a message notifies you that you checked out the item and provides the date and timestamp for the check-out. See Modify an Item topic for details on modifying items.
Manually Check-in an Item
Project Managers can manually check-in not only items they have checked-out, but they can also check-in items that other users have checked-out, thus overriding the check-out from other users. To check-in more than one item at a time, see the Item Check-out Dashboard topic.
- Open the item on the Examine Questions page you wish to manually check-in.
- The behavior for checking in an item you checked out vs. one checked out by another user is slightly different.
If the item is checked-out by another user, the message at the top of the page states who has the item checked out plus the date and time stamp. Click the Check-in button.
The item is checked-in, the message disappears, and the button changes to Check-out.
- If you want to check-in an item you checked out, click the Check-in button. The item is checked-in and the button changes to Check-out.
Print the Item
- Click Print button near the top, next to Clone.
- The pop-up window displays the item report with print options.
- Choose the required options and take the print out of the item by clicking the Print button.
Change the status of the item
- At the bottom of the page, select the new status of the item from the Question State drop-down list.
Click Change State.