ExamDeveloper provides prescribed formats for items to be uploaded in the project. You can upload items in the XML format or use the format described in an Excel Workbook.
Download an XML file template displaying the format for Items:
- Select the Manage → Import Questions menu.
- Click Get Sample XML. Download the XML file to your computer.
This file can be viewed in any text editor or browser.
Download an Excel file template displaying the format for Items:
Select the Manage → Import → Questions tab.
- Click the Get Sample Excel hyperlink under Select file (*.xls) region of the page, to download the sample exam template in Excel file format.
The Excel file has three sheets to enter data.
In this sheet, it is mandatory to specify the Type of item to be imported (selected from a drop-down list), Stem of the item which may have basic HTML tags, Option A and B (first and second Options for the item, which is the minimum requirement), and Correct Options (indicated by A or B or C or D, etc. Multiple Correct Options must be separated by commas). When SpreadSheet type questions are imported, MaxRows and MaxColumns are mandatory fields.
Optionally, you can specify additional data for Stem and Options such as assets, option labels, option shape labels, Case Name, Case Type (exhibit or item), External ID (imported items are assigned Ids in ExamDeveloper, this id is stored as a comment for each imported item), Blueprint (item is classified as “Unclassified” if left blank), Grouping Id (to be provided when language group is not provided and only used to internally reference the items before the import takes place), Language Group, Language Code (is set to the default Language Code of the Item Bank if kept blank), StemImages,Shuffle Options (whether the options should be randomized when published on an exam. Valid values are "Yes" or "No"), References, Metadata, and Comments (multiple comments must be separated on multiple lines), ExhibitTitle, ExhibitIds, SpreadSheet AssetName, FrameHeight (for SpreadSheet type questions, enter the spreadsheet FrameHeight), Calculator, Minimum Response (enter the minimum number of responses for MCQ Multiple Correct Options and Point and Click item types), Maximum Response (enter the minimum number of responses for MCQ Multiple Correct Options and Point and Click item types), Enumerated (exclude an item from the numbering sequence in the review screen), Response Required (prevent candidates from navigating off any item they have not answered completely), Response Confirmation (prompt candidates to confirm their answer to an item before moving off of it), No Response Confirmation (prompt candidates for confirmation to move off an item if they did not respond to the item completely). Language Group can be provided here to be directly imported into the application, provided it doesn’t already exist. Similarly, Language Code can also be provided to be imported directly into the application, but its pairing with Language Group must not already exist in the application.
Here, you can specify optional additional information regarding references. You can read the detailed description on the Instructions sheet of the Excel sheet template.
It is mandatory to enter the ExhibitId (the Id that is used only to reference the case on the Questions sheet and is not passed to the application), ExhibitType (Split or Popup), and QuestionNumber (the question number to attach as exhibits).
- Save the Excel file template.
- Return to the Import Questions page, click the Choose File button to browse to the updated Excel file template, click OK button to select it, and click the Upload button.
- If the upload is successful, the imported items are listed below on the Import Questions page under the heading Import Question Queue in the same order as entered in the Questions sheet. The list includes the blueprint classification and question stem, and there is a check box for each item for selection. There are three buttons at the bottom of the list:
- Examine Question: This opens the selected item in the Examine Questions page.
- Accept Question: This accepts the item into the current project and sets its state to Review.
- Delete Question: The item is not allowed to enter the current project and is discarded.